The Board for Contractors licenses businesses engaged in the construction, removal, repair, or improvement of facilities on property owned by others. Contractor licenses consist of two parts: the class of license (A, B, or C), which determines the monetary value of contracts/projects that may be performed, and the classification/specialty, which determines what type of work is allowed. The Board also licenses individuals and firms engaged in residential building energy analysis, which involves evaluation of energy consumption and recommendations to improve energy efficiency.

Important Notices Concerning Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Visit for the latest COVID-19 updates, including information about the revised Executive Order.

Please note: DPOR Offices at the Perimeter Center are closed to the public due to the public health emergency. No in-person customer service is available and visitors are not permitted to enter the building or drop off materials.

Additional Notices

Which application format is right for you? Tips on how to choose. 


  1. Select your application format: Working with Interactive and Static forms 
  2. Review the Introduction to Contractor LicensureStep-by-Step Application Guide, and Requirements for Qualified Individuals 
  3. Learn about trade-related exams and qualifications  
  4. Read and understand the Board for Contractors Regulations   
  5. Application fees are not refundable 

APPLY | Contractor License                    

CONTRACTOR FIRM License Application (v04/23/2020)
  • Class A, B, and C 
  • business entities and sole proprietors, not individuals
  • looking for tradesmen applications? 
No online option  Interactive   Static   
Financial Verification Forms (v07/01/2017)
  • Required of Class A and B applicants only 
  • Select ONE form to verify net worth/equity
No online option  Interactive


Surety Bond Form 


Surety Bond Form 
Contractor Experience Verification Form (v02/01/2018) No online option  Interactive  Static   
Application for Temporary Contractor License (v04/23/2020) No online option      Interactive   Static  
Expedited Class A License Application (v04/23/2020) No online option  Interactive   Static  


APPLY | Residential Business Energy Analyst (RBEA)

RBEA INDIVIDUAL License Application (v01/01/2016)  No online option  Interactive  Static 
RBEA FIRM License Application (v04/23/2020) No online option  Interactive  Static 
RBEA Experience Verification Form (v01/01/2016) No online option  Interactive  Static 



ADD/CHANGE License Information (for current licensees only)

CHANGE of Qualified Individual (QI)/ Designated Employee (DE) (v08/01/2019) No online option  Interactive  Static 
CHANGE of Responsible Management (RM) (v01/01/2016) No online option  Interactive  Static 
ADD License Specialty Designation (08/01/2019)  |  For contractors only  No online option  Interactive  Static  
CHANGE in License Class (v04/28/2020)  |  For contractors only No online option  Interactive  Static  
ADDRESS CHANGE FORM  Online Services  Interactive  Static 
NAME CHANGE FORM  No online option  Interactive  Static 




Certificate of License Termination (v12/01/2015)  No online option  Interactive   Static




*available only for contractor firms and RBEA firms, not individual licensees 
Option 2  Return the RENEWAL CARD received in the mail along with your payment 
Option 3  Submit a CREDIT CARD PAYMENT FORM by mail or FAX, with a statement indicating that the payment is for the renewal of a license. You MUST include your license number(s).      


  • Renewals cannot be processed over the phone. 
  • If your license has been expired for more than 30 days, you must contact Board staff at (804) 367-8511 or for further guidance.          



EDUCATION PROVIDER FORMS                                                      

  • FAQs for education providers
Approval Registration & Course Approval Application (v01/01/2018) No online option  Interactive  Static
Listing Update Form (v09/08/2017) No online option  Interactive  Static


Statement of Consumer Protections
  • required for residential door-to-door solicitations 
Certification Request Form 
*official license information, often requested by other states for verification 
No online option      Interactive  Static 
Credit Card Payment Form  Pay Renewal Online   Interactive  Static 
Disciplinary Action Reporting Form  No online option  Interactive  Static 
DPOR Criminal Conviction Reporting Form  No online option  Interactive  Static 
DPOR Boards only accept the most current versions of the applications and forms as provided above. DPOR is not responsible for processing delays associated with forms that do not conform to this requirement.



Sign up for email notification of regulatory action and meetings by registering here.



Pending regulatory action (proposed changes, public hearings, etc.) 


Sign up for email notification of regulatory action and meetings by registering here.

The Virginia Regulatory Town Hall provides access to the board's meeting schedule, agendas, and past meeting minutes.

Visit the Town Hall


Pre-License Education

In order to become licensed as a Contractor (Class A, Class B, or Class C), applicants must complete eight hours of pre-license education. For Class A and Class B applicants, the pre-license education must be completed by a member of responsible management or the designated employee. For Class C applicants, a member of responsible management must complete the pre-license education. Pre-license education is required for all new contractor licenses, and is a separate requirement from the Class A and Class B examinations.

The pre-license education course is a basic business course that covers relevant regulations, statutes, and requirements that are necessary for every business owner. The course is not specific to any particular classification or specialty. A Board-approved advanced contractor class will also meet the requirements for the pre-license education course.

In addition, applicants for licensure as a Residential Building Energy Analyst must complete a class from an approved RBEA vocational training provider.

Remedial Education

The Board may order licensed contractors to complete remedial education as part of a disciplinary or consent order.

Every licensee ordered to complete remedial education must attend a full-day eight-hour class in person at DPOR. Classes are free, taught by certified DPOR staff, and offered once a month at DPOR offices in the Perimeter Center, 9960 Mayland Drive, Board Room 2 (directions here).

To sign up for a class, complete the Registration Form (see chart below) or contact the Board office at (804) 367-2785 or Pre-registration is strongly encouraged, and walk-ins can only be accommodated if space is available.

All class participants must be a member of the Responsible Management team listed on the contractor license. You must bring a photo ID with you to registration. Credit will not be given unless you attend the entire length of the full-day class.

NOTE: All classes are 8:15 a.m.-5:00 p.m. with a 45-minute lunch break. Please bring your own lunch or be prepared to go off-site and return within the 45-minute time frame.


January 21, 2021 Thursday
February 25, 2021 Thursday
March 16, 2021 Tuesday
April 8, 2021 Thursday
May 11, 2021 Tuesday
June 15, 2021 Tuesday
July 8, 2021 Thursday
August 12, 2021 Thursday
September 23, 2021 Thursday
October 14, 2021 Thursday
November 10, 2021 Wednesday
December 16, 2021 Thursday

Education Providers

The Board for Contractors' Committee is responsible for reviewing applications from education providers seeking board approval. The Committee usually meets the day BEFORE the regularly scheduled Board meeting (schedule here) at 2:00 p.m.

Submission of correct and complete school/course applications must be received ONE MONTH PRIOR to the Committee meeting for consideration by the Committee and approval by the Board. The date of receipt by the Board office determines whether the application materials were received by the deadline.

Contact the Board's Education Section at (804) 367-2224 or with questions.

Application for Education Provider/Course Approval Interactive Static
Education Provider Listing Update Form Interactive Static
Education Provider FAQs   Static




Exam Vendor PSI
(855) 340-3910
Frequency and Dates of Exam Daily*
Contact PSI (855) 340-3910
*"daily" typically means Monday-Friday
Deadline for Application No application deadline.
Exam Fees (paid directly to PSI) $40 One portion of exam
$72 Two portions of exam
$85 Three portions of exam
$85 QI specialty exam
Exam Locations Charlottesville, VA
Richmond, VA
Roanoke, VA
Vienna, VA
Virginia Beach, VA
Johnson City, TN
Salisbury, MD
Questions About Exam Scheduling or Registration?

View PSI Candidate Information Bulletins (CIBs):

News & Publications

Sign up for email notification of regulatory action and meetings by registering here.

News Releases

Board News

  • Worker Misclassification Prevention | Misclassification occurs when an employer improperly counts a worker as an independent contractor who should, in fact, be an employee. Employee misclassification undermines those businesses that follow the law by allowing unscrupulous employers to undercut bids because they avoid payroll costs. Virginia is committed to leveling the playing field for employers that play by the rules.

Consumer Education Materials


Step-by-Step Guide to Contractor Licensure 

How do I contact the Board office? Will I be able to speak directly with a Board member? 

If you have a question regarding licensing issues, renewal, application status, etc., please contact the Licensing Section at (804) 367-8511. If you have a question regarding continuing education providers, how to become a provider, or other questions relating to education, please contact the Education Section at (804) 367-2224.

Additionally, if you have information that you would like to mail to the Board, please send it to:
Board for Contractors
Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 400
Richmond, VA 23233

The Board members do not work in the Board office. They come into the Board offices for Board meetings and hearings, but are not here on a daily basis. Board office staff members can answer your questions and are trained to process all information that comes into the Board office. Please do not contact Board members directly.

I am licensed in Virginia, and applying for licensure in another state.The other state is requesting verification of my Virginia license. What do I need to do?

Please complete the Certification Request Form and send it with a check made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia. Specify where you would like the certification to be mailed.

How do I go about filing a complaint against a contractor?

Contact the Regulatory Programs and Compliance Section.

I need to renew my license, but I haven't received my renewal form. What do I need to do?

No earlier than 60 days prior to your license expiration, send in the renewal fee, make checks payable to the Treasurer of Virginia, and include your license number on your check. Mail this information to:
Board for Contractors
Department of Professional & Occupational Regulation
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 400
Richmond, VA 23233

You CANNOT continue to practice in Virginia after your license has expired.

My renewal payment was one day late and I have always paid on time. Can you waive the late fee?

No. The Board's regulations provide a 30-day period after the expiration date in which a license may be renewed without penalty (therefore, your payment is actually 31 days late). Staff cannot waive the fee.

Board regulations state that if the requirements for renewal of a license, including receipt of the fee by the board, are not complete within 30 days of the expiration date, a reinstatement fee is required.

Once your license expires, you no longer have a license to engage in contracting. The 30-day period is not a license extension, but only an additional 30 days to complete your renewal and submit payment without having to pay the reinstatement fee.

I did not renew on time because I didn't receive my renewal card. Do I still have to pay a late fee or reinstate my license?

Yes. Board regulations state that failure to receive the renewal notice does not relieve the licensee of the obligation to renew.

Does the Board office use the date of receipt or the postmark date to determine whether an application or renewal was received on time?

The date the application or renewal was received in the agency determines whether it is on time, not the postmark date. If the renewal fee is received after the due date, you will be required to pay the reinstatement fee. If the reinstatement fee is received after the due date, you will be required to reapply for licensure, meeting all current requirements.

My address and/or name has changed. What do I need to do to notify the Board?

Many Boards allow you to update your ADDRESS using Online Services, so login to your personal profile to see if this is an option for your license type. The alternative is to complete, print, sign, and submit an Address Change Form to the Board office by mail. Unless updated online, all Address Change Forms must be received by the Board in writing. When providing a post office box as the mailing address, it must be accompanied by the physical address.

To report a NAME CHANGE: complete, print, sign, and submit a Name Change Form to the Board office. All name changes must be received by the Board in writing. Individual name change requests must be accompanied by a copy of a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order, or other official documentation that verifies the name change.

Board Roster

Board for Contractors

Board Executive Director

Eric L. Olson

Board Administrators

Adrienne Mayo

Marjorie King

Member Roster

Board Member Roster

Donald Groh

  • First four-year term ends June 30, 2021
  • Elevator Mechanic
  • Chesapeake

Jeffrey W. Hux | Board Chairman

  • Second four-year term ends June 30, 2022
  • Plumbing Contractor
  • Norfolk

Robin Christopher Plummer

  • First four-year term ends June 30, 2022
  • Sub-Contractor
  • Petersburg

E. G. "Rudy" Middleton

  • Second four-year term ends June 30, 2018
  • Electrical Contractor
  • Norfolk

Michael D. Redifer

  • Second four-year term ends June 30, 2022
  • Building Code Official
  • Waynesboro

James Oliver

  • Second four-year term ends June 30, 2019
  • Single-Family Residential Contractor
  • Christiansburg

Caitlin King | Board Vice-Chairman

  • First four-year term ends June 30, 2022
  • Utilities Contractor
  • James City County

Deborah Tomlin

  • First four-year term ends June 30, 2021
  • Home Improvement Contractor
  • Colonial Heights

Sheila Bynum-Coleman

  • First four-year term ends June 30, 2020
  • Class A General Contractor
  • Chesterfield

John David O'Dell

  • Second four-year term ends June 30, 2022
  • Certified Water Well System Provider
  • Mechanicsville

Jeffrey Shawn Mitchell

  • Second four-year term ends June 30, 2022
  • HVAC Contractor
  • Broadlands

Gene E. Magruder

  • Second four-year term ends June 30, 2020
  • Citizen Member
  • Newport News

Vance T. Ayers

  • Second four-year term ends June 30, 2020
  • Citizen Member
  • King George

Wiley "Bif" V. Johnson

  • First four-year term ends June 30, 2021
  • Professional Engineer
  • Madison Heights

Doug Lowe

  • Unexpired term until June 30, 2021
  • Commercial Contractor Member)
  • Charlottesville, VA 22903


  • Materials Supplier


The Contractor Transaction Recovery Act provides relief to eligible consumers who have incurred losses through the improper and dishonest conduct of a licensed contractor. Filing a claim does not guarantee payment.

Looking for information about the Real Estate Recovery Fund? Visit the Real Estate Board page.

Learn more about the Contractor Recovery Fund.

DPOR stands ready to assist veterans and active-duty military personnel as they maintain or transition to civilian careers requiring professional credentials.

Active-duty military personnel and their spouses having served outside the U.S., as well as certain diplomatic service members and veterans, may be eligible to receive up to a five-year extension for meeting license renewal requirements (pursuant to Section 54.1-117 of the Code of Virginia).

Spouses of active-duty military personnel assigned to a duty station in Virginia are eligible for expedited processing using the Military Spouse Expedited License Application (Interactive | Static). A temporary, non-renewable 12-month license for certain military spouses licensed in another state who need more time to meet Virginia-specific requirements is also an option if necessary. [Section 54.1-119

  • Military spouses also can get help covering the costs of transferring their professional licenses or certifications when they experience a permanent-change-of-station move with their service member spouse

For honorably discharged veterans, “substantially equivalent” military training, education, or experience may be credited toward certain license requirements (pursuant to Section 54.1-118). The Virginia Department of Veteran Services does not reimburse for exam costs. However, Veterans can be reimbursed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The link for the information is here:

The transactions listed below are only for Contractor Business license types:

  • Contractor Temporary (2703)
  • Class A, B or C Contractors (2705)
  • Residential Building Energy Analyst Firm (2707)
  • Education Providers


The Tradesmen Program page lists online services offered for Individual license types (e.g., tradesmen, elevator mechanics, residential building energy analysts, etc.).

(Please check back periodically as we modify transactions in the future.)